Sunday, March 23, 2008

Today was marathon wedding day. My cousin Alison got married and yours truly was the stylist--the hair, the makeup, the dress. It was so much fun! I overheard so many people say how beautiful she looked and I just stood by and thought to myself, ya, I did that! My dad put it best by saying she looked straight out of a vintage vanity fair magazine. I can't wait to post pictures! So some highlights of the day were, performing a choreographed dance in front of 350 people, sitting at a table of awkward single 30-ish year olds, and Uncle Alan trying to set me up with a married guy. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic but they really were the best parts of the day!
Dance: Alison and Eric decided to make up a dance after being inspired by the salt and pepa push it video--you tube it. So the song was a Junior Senior dity and in the end it looked like we were in the thriller video--not because we looked like zombies although maybe I did--but because we surprised the crowd and jumped in and started dancing with Alison and Eric about 1/2 way in to the song, moving all together. It was seriously so fun!
Awkward table: I appreciate the gesture here--let's put the people that are single together so that they can find a match and unsingle themselves. However, at 30 we all feel uncomfortable with ourselves no matter what because we are all thinking the same thing: there is always a reason why a person hasn't been married before 30 but I'm def not included in that statistic. So all of these people are a bunch of weirdos and I'm the only normal one. Let me back up on this story really quick. When I realized that my seating assignment was different from the rest of my family, I just about died. I knew what was coming and I was the first one at the table. Uncle Alan + his whole family was at the next table and they kept offering to have me come and sit with them but I declined saying thanks but I'm not going to fix it, I'm just going to complain about it. So as the table filled up, I noticed that they were all watching and giving winks and nods of approval at the obviously single boys now filling the seats beside me. After the table was full and we had been sitting there a while, Alan came waltzing over, leaned over and said to me just loud enough for some to hear: Tracy, would you still like to come over and sit with us? I wanted to sink under the table. I mean really, how do you get out of that??? As Ali came by to greet us she asked us if we had found our eternal companion at the table yet. I think I was the only one that really laughed while every one else got really uncomfortable. I love these stories!
Uncle Alan: The first time he embarrassed me was at the luncheon after the temple. He had been talking about some guys that he wants to set me up with and said that there was even one guy there at the wedding that they thought I would like. I didn't think much of it until I realized who it was. We were sitting around chatting when this particular individual walked by. Alan called out, Hey Bryce! Have you met Tracy yet? It was too late. I couldn't do anything but say, yes, we met sort of last night and hope that Alan wouldn't say anything more. After a minute or two of chit chat, Bryce walked away. Alan asked Well??? and I replied, He's MARRIED!!! But good try. I should have just played it off and called Alan out on the spot in front of Bryce but I was too flustered to think to do it.
Ah I love family weddings...June 7th is another one!!!!!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

SO SORRY I missed it! Sounds like a great day--despite the fun family dynamics. I'm sure the dress was beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures!

Alicia said...

I wish we could have been there! It sounds like it was a very interesting night and I look forward to seeing the finished "product"! Ahhh, I love your stories!

Cori Carpenter said...

I love reading your posts...sorry I am not better about commenting! I can't wait to see the pics!!

Rebecca said...

Awesome! I love it! I can't wait to see the pictures...

MaMaMaMandy said...

Trac- you crack me up!! I DO think you are THE most normal!! Family weddings are pretty amusing! Your uncle sounds like Uncle Lee- as far as the picking on you is concerned! :) Can't wait to see those glamor shots!

Patricia said...

oh man. i wish that i had been at your table! although mine was awesome.

Al G. said...

Okay...sorry Tracy. I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on (dream on). It was all done out of love!
Sorry I'm so obnoxious...it should just make you appreciate what an angel Laurel is.
Love,
Weird Uncle Al