Saturday, June 02, 2007

It's finally opening night and I can feel the stress starting to drain from my pores. Last night we had a preview which means we had a live audience. The show was rolling along fine but I was totally on cruise control--wig off, wig on, wig off, wig on. Pam doesn't come out until about half way through the show and they kind of make it a big deal with big music and fireworks or whatever. So the music is on and she is walking out--big blond hair, tall heels, and shiny short shorts--a siren goes off and all of us look around at each other like, did they change the music? Is this new? Then a woman's voice comes on saying, "A fire alarm in the building has been triggered." I start to look around a bit frantic and all I could think was wait we haven't had a fire drill yet! Is this a fire drill? NO it can't be--we're in the middle of a show! So we just waited as the siren kept blairing overhead and Pam and Hans stood on stage looking around, not sure what to do but almost trying to go on with the show. I wandered back to the wig room and saw that there were two men trying to get in to the pyro room which is right next door. The physical therapy guy said he had heard a loud pop come from that room. Sure enough, they opened the doors and smoke came rushing out. It filled up the backstage area and they cancelled the rest of the show. I got a sudden rush of energy knowing that there wasn't any damage so I still have a job but the night was over! Wig off.

No comments: