Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Australia, Australia I can't get you off of my mind.

I have a secret obsession with a little country known as Australia.I have some friends that are going in January and I am invited however I cannot find an affordable airline ticket for the time frame that they will be there. I have beenlamenting over this for the last week. I have called a travel agent, searched everywhere you can search for cheap tickets on line.

....nothing....

My mom asked me the other night why I want to go to Australia. I told her that I have been wanting to go for the last three years but on the real, it's more like the last thirty years. I couldn't bring myself to tell her where it all began but somehow I can write it here and totally risk humiliating myself.
It all started with Olivia Newton John. Physical was the first record album I ever owned and I was probably about 4 years old.
I remember getting this very clearly--my parents were both there and we were in the living room and my dad handed the record over to me. I didn't really know what I was in for but I will tell you that I must have listened to that album as many times as I could convince my mom to put it on for me.

I loved Olivia.

My parents knew this and sat me down to watch Grease.
So then I loved Olivia and John. I think I was obsessed with her accent because I remember imitating it while playing in the back yard. When we went to the Worlds Fair in Canada in 1986, guess what exhibition I had to see. Yep, Australia. It was the lamest exhibition there but I enjoyed every second of it. Of course my dad somehow got a bunch of Koala bears to hand out at his business. Little did he know the seed he was planting.
I think my obsession with this place was put on hold for a long time because the next Australia moment I had was just three years ago. My roommate Danielle had been there and she had a few Australian friends in town so we hung out with them. I said to myself, I need to meet more people like them.

I
am
moving!

Of course I haven't moved, but I've been trying to plan trips there ever since. I keep telling myself, this will be the year. In the meantime, I'm obsessed with Australians. Simon Baker, Tabitha Coffey, Olivia on Fringe...isn't it ironic that her name is Olivia??? It's like the country is calling my name.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't know how you can remember so much from childhood. I can't remember anything!

Letterpress said...

I want to go to Australia really badly too. I may be a hundred before I ever get there.(Hope Not). I hope you make it before I do.

I liked a lot of your people you voted for EXCEPT Ken Calvert. I can't forgive him for the time he put out gay-bashing rumors on Takano, then was caught in a car with a hooker--and he was married. I know, I need to get over it. But I also have a problem that he's done about NOTHING for us out here. Zilch. He may be your pal, a great guy, but I don't think he's a very effective congressman. I like the staff in his office, though. They're very nice, and I credit them for a lot of the fun time I had in DC.

It's fun to get your take on things--you're one of the people who will take over the world!

Sharon said...

I hope you get to go! Such an amazing country and it's because there are such amazing people there! That's one place I could move too!