Friday, March 12, 2010

I think I love the DMV. I know it sounds crazy but where else are you going to see that wide of a variety of people? I know it sounds so cliche to say that I love people watching but I do. I think everyone does. Why do you think reality shows are such a big hit? The DMV line wrapped around the building yesterday. I brought my book and stood there and read as much as I could. I didn't want the people around me to notice that I was staring at them.
I wonder if sometimes people want you to stare at them. This Mexican kid in front of me had this hip hop ring tone for his text messaging. It only plays about 5 seconds of the song but it goes off every time he gets a text. Usually teenagers will not just send one text. They have to text 3 or 4 messages back to back. After standing in line behind this kid for an hour and a half, I wanted to grab his phone and throw it across the street.
These two black ladies in front of the Mexican kid had a baby that was probably about 9 months old. She was really cute sitting all cozy in her car seat. After about 15 minutes one of ladies pulled out a can of vienna sausages, opened it up and handed one to the baby. At first the baby stared at it like, what do you want me to do with it? She finally took it and wrapped her fingers around it. It was actually the perfect size for her tiny grip. She held it for a while and I think eventually she got curious and put it up to her mouth. I was almost shocked that this was a snack option for a baby. But this lady didn't hesitate. It was as if Gerber Graduates had been printed on the side of the can. I looked back at my book. I couldn't bare watching this. The line moved forward and we had actually made it to the next corner of the building in a half hour. I looked up from my book again to see the baby had another snack. It totally blew the vienna sausage out of the water. It was a little fried chicken leg. The baby was gnawing at it getting chicken all over the place. The lady finally got her out of the car seat and brushed the chicken pieces all over the ground. I thought, Well that's ok the birds will eat it...but will they? Do birds eat chicken? Then I noticed the bling on the baby. She had her ears pierced and she wasn't wearing studs, they were full on gold hoops! And as she was getting cleaned off the thick gold rope necklace came spilling out of her shirt! What the? I contemplated taking a picture of the scene but I didn't have a camera with me. Then I wondered even if I did, would this lady be freaked out that I was taking a picture of her and the baby? Normally in situations like this I'll have my friend stand in front of me like I'm taking their picture when really I'm focusing on what's behind them. I can't tell you how many times it has worked. But alas I was alone and without a camera....and in line at the DMV not Disneyland.
When I finally reached the front of the line, it had been about 1 hr 45 min. The worst part about it was that they couldn't take care of the problem I had. They guy handed me piece of paper and said to send a copy of my information and an explanation to bla bla bla address. And that is why I hate the DMV.




3 comments:

laura said...

I'm totally going to buy my baby some sausages. This was funny.

Michelle said...

There are no words...

Letterpress said...

I'm surprised the baby didn't choke. I love your blog. You write down what I'm thinking. I'm going to have to get more brave.